Calvary Chapel has been formed as a fellowship of believers in the Lordship of Jesus Christ. Our supreme desire is to know Christ and be conformed to His image by the power of the Holy Spirit.
In Our Meetings:
- We believe worship of God should be spiritual; therefore, we remain flexible and yielded to the leading of the Holy Spirit to direct our worship.
- We believe worship of God should be inspirational; therefore, we give great place to music in our worship.
- We believe worship of God should be intelligent; therefore, our services are designed with great emphasis upon the expository (verse by verse) teaching of the Word of God that He might instruct us on how He should be worshipped.
- We believe worship of God should be fruitful; therefore, we look for His love in our lives as the supreme manifestation that we have been truly worshipping Him.
Other Basic Beliefs:
- We believe the only true basis of Christian fellowship is Christ’s (Agape) love, which is greater than differences we possess, and without which we have no right to claim ourselves Christians.
- We believe in the inerrancy of Scripture, that the Bible (Old and New Testaments) is the inspired, infallible Word of God.
- We believe in one God, eternally existent in three separate persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is fully God and fully human, that he was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, provided for the atonement of our sins by His substitutionary death on the cross, was bodily resurrected by the power of the Holy Spirit, ascended back to the right hand of God the Father, and ever lives to make intercession for us.
- We believe that all people are by nature separated from God and responsible for their own sin, but that salvation, redemption, and forgiveness are freely offered to all by the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. When a person repents of sin and accepts Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior, trusting Him to save, that person is immediately born again and indwelt by the Holy Spirit, all of his/her sins are forgiven, and that person becomes a child of God, destined to spend eternity with the Lord.
- We believe in water baptism by immersion after a person has been spiritually born again through faith in Jesus.
- We believe God desires His children to be filled with the Holy Spirit (come upon) in order to have supernatural power to witness for Jesus. This is often (but not always) a separate experience from salvation. We also believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit mentioned in the Scriptures, and that they are valid for today and are to be exercised in love within scriptural guidelines, for the edification of the church.
- We are neither Five-Point Calvinists nor are we Arminians. We adhere firmly to the Biblical teaching of God’s sovereignty and man’s responsibility. We avoid any theological systems of belief which go beyond the written Word.
- We believe in the imminent, pretribulational return of Jesus Christ for His church (the rapture), at which time we will be suddenly transformed and taken to heaven. After this event, the tribulation will unfold on earth. At the end of this 7 year period, Jesus will physically return with His church to rule and reign on earth for 1000 years.